Easy and Fun DIY Projects That Will Spruce Your Home up for Autumn
November 3, 2021
‘Tis the season for apple pie, crisp mornings, and warm sweaters. As the temperature changes, so does the aesthetic. Here we can show you how to make your home decor match the cozy outdoor ambiance.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your crafting tools, light up your favorite pumpkin spice candle, and keep reading for some DIY projects that can turn your home into an autumn wonderland.
Address Pumpkin Topiary
If you are looking to add some autumn decor to your outdoor area, you will love this project. All you’ll need is:
- Fake white pumpkins (get one for each digit of your home number)
- Plastic house numbers (you can find these at a crafts store or hardware store)
- Flowerpot (diameter should be slightly bigger than the fake pumpkins)
- Spanish moss
- Wooden dowel (should be the size of the fake pumpkins stacked, plus the flowerpot)
- Rocks or bricks
- Hot glue gun
- Place the wooden dowel inside the flowerpot and secure it in the middle using rocks or bricks.
- Wrinkle newspaper sheets, and place them tightly inside the flowerpot, leaving about 2-3 inches of space at the top.
- Cut off the stems of all the pumpkins except the top one.
- Using the hot glue gun and/or screws, place one number on each pumpkin.
- Cut holes on the bottom of every pumpkin and stack them along the secured wooden dowel so that the first digit of your home number ends up on top.
- Cover the visible newspaper with Spanish moss.
- Place outside your Tropicana Home to display!
Credits to Vanessa Hunt author of “At the Picket Fence”.
Yarn Hanging Art
You will absolutely love this wall art decor. This is one of those DIY projects that are really easy to make, and really versatile. This is what you’ll need:
- Yarn of different colors (you should use autumn-themed colors like orange and cream so that they match the rest of the decor during all your fall festivities)
- Glue gun
- A wooden stick or steady tree branch
- Fake flowers (optional)
- Cut pieces of the yarn (should be approximately one yard long, but you can play around with sizes and see what you like best).
- Take about 10-15 pieces of the same color yarn and assemble them around the wooden stick or branch with a loop.
- Repeat the same process with different color yarn and create a pattern that you like.
- If you choose to, once all the yarn strands are assembled on the stick, glue gun some fake flowers on one of the ends of the branch.
Voila! Now you have a beautiful yarn hanging that you can put up in any room.
Project inspired by Amaryllis’s blog “Oh Oh Deco”.
Mason Jar Flower Vases
This next DIY project looks beautiful as a centerpiece for your Thanksgiving dinner table. All you will need is:
- Empty mason jars
- Spray paint (use orange, gold, brown, and cream shades)
- Cardboard or plastic cover
- Flowers (real or fake, up to you!)
- Wash your mason jars and remove any labels or stickers.
- Place them upside down over the cardboard or plastic cover.
- Cover the outside of the mason jars using about 2-3 coats of spray paint (if you can, it is better to do this outside).
- Let dry.
- Place your chosen flowers into the painted jars.
Project inspired by Claire Gallam’s article “A Simple Step-by-Step DIY Guide to Spray-Painting Mason Jars” from the “She Knows” website.
That’s it! Now you have fall-inspired flower vases that will bring your autumn home decor to the next level! These look especially gorgeous as indoor table decorations.
Fall-Inspired DIY Projects
Making fall-inspired DIY projects is a fantastic way to spruce up your home decor and make everything look more festive. After all, loving your home and everything within it is the most important thing!
Finding that home is easier with Tropicana Homes. View our variety of beautiful floorplans and various locations throughout El Paso. See why we are El Paso’s most trusted home builder since 1950, contact any of our agents today for more information.