September 26, 2018
The weather is starting to cool down, the days are getting shorter, and sweaters have been taken out of storage. This could only mean one thing: the Holiday season is coming! Many potential homeowners wonder, “when is it a good time to buy a home?” Read on to learn why the holiday season is the best time to buy a house.
*“THE HOLIDAY SEASON IS MEANT TO BE SPENT WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS, AS WELL AS TO MAKING MEMORIES THAT WILL ONE DAY BE GREATLY CHERISHED. THAT’S WHY OUR COMMITMENT TO BUILDING YOUR TROPICANA HOME WITH ONLY THE BEST IS OUR PRIORITY. WE WANT YOU TO SPEND THIS HOLIDAY SEASON, AND EVERY SEASON IN A HOME YOU WILL LOVE AND ENJOY.” - RANDY BOWLING, PRESIDENT, TROPICANA HOMES *
Sales, Sales, Sales
One of the best things about the holiday season is the sales. You can get the best prices on everything you need for your new home by shopping during the holiday season. Whether you need kitchenware or decor items, the holiday season offers you excellent savings so you can furnish your home for less. Two great things that Tropicana Homes provides can also help you settle in even faster during the holidays are the stainless steel GE appliances that are incorporated into every home and select finished homes that include furniture in the living and dining rooms! This means that your home will be Holiday ready as soon as you walk through the door.
Move-in Ready Homes
One of the best things about moving into a brand new build is that it is move-in ready. Just unlock the front door and bring in your things. You’ll be able to enjoy the holidays at home without organizing renovations or repairs. Tropicana Homes offers a variety of available inventory in our different communities. Feel free to ask any of our knowledgable sales professionals for the move-in ready homes that are in their communities and find your dream home in no time! Do you prefer to have an open floor plan? Or do you love the idea of a great room that features both a dining room and living room? Do you want a one or two story home? You can have exactly what you’ve always dreamed of when you buy a new build. Just turn the key and you’re home! Take a look at our array of floorplans that range from 1,150 Sq. Ft. to 3,430 Sq. Ft. Plus, we have 12 communities throughout the El Paso area including, Horizon City, Socorro, Texas or Clint, Texas. Read about how to find the right neighborhood for you.
Closing on a house during the holiday season could give you a major tax advantage for the upcoming year, especially if you are buying a house as an investment property. You might be able to deduct property taxes and the interest rate on your new mortgage on this year’s taxes. The more your house costs, the higher the property taxes. Then, during tax season, the higher the deductions you’ll enjoy. Our preferred lender, Patriot Mortgage, is happy to help you make getting your mortgage simple and straightforward. You’ll also receive up to 6% closings costs when going through Patriot Mortgage. Everyone’s financial situation is different so buying a home during the holidays might not help you pay fewer taxes. We recommend you speak to your tax accountant to find out if a tax saving applies to you.
New Year, New Term
Starting at a new school once the school year has started, especially at the start of a term, is ideal. For one thing, the kids will easily develop friendships by the time summer vacation arrives. When those long, hot days of summer come around, your kids will have many school friends they can call on to enjoy the sunshine together. Every Tropicana Homes community is conveniently located near great schools that range from Preschool to High School. View our previous blog to learn on how to find the perfect school for your children while you find the Tropicana Home of your dreams! For adults, moving over the holidays means starting off the new year right. Whether you have new years resolutions or want a fresh start at something in your life, your new home can help get you going.
Enjoy the Holiday Season
We hope you found this post on moving during the holiday season helpful. We want everyone to find the home of their dreams during any season. Moving into a new home is a rewarding feeling but finding the right time to do so can be intimidating, but that’s why our amazing sales professionals and us are here to help you no matter if it’s a sunny summer day or a cloudy winter afternoon. Call us or visit any of our amazing model homes for more information on how to become a Tropicana Homes owner today!
August 29, 2018
Finding your dream home can seem like an overwhelming task. Those looking to find the perfect house, you want to have it all. This means the right size, the right community, the right price and of course, the right schools for your children. Luckily, all of this is within your reach. With just a little bit of research savvy and the right kind of help, you’ll be able to find your dream home in no time at all! At Tropicana Homes we’ll help you find the perfect home, with location, quality and floorplan in mind.
“BUILDING HOMES AT TROPICANA MEANS BUILDING MEMORIES FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. EL PASO IS A GREAT CITY THAT IS CONSTANTLY GROWING, AND WE HAVE OUR YOUTH TO THANK FOR IT. AS OUR COMMUNITY GROWS, AND GENERATIONS PASS, OUR PRIORITY IS AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE BUILD QUALITY, ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES IN GREAT COMMUNITIES THROUGHOUT EL PASO. WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY’S FUTURE IN MIND”. - RANDY BOWLING, PRESIDENT, TROPICANA HOMES
Consider Your Needs
This should always be your starting point, as listing your needs will accelerate your house hunting journey, so you can be all settled in your perfect home as soon as possible. Stop for a second and think; “what does my perfect home look like?”. It’s all about asking yourself the right questions. How long do you want your commute to be? Do you need a guest bedroom? How much garage space do you want? And to help answer these questions, you can visit our variety of floorplans to help you find exactly what you need with a few clicks. Once you have your wishlist in place, you’ll be able to work with your realtor to find the right place in the shortest possible time. Luckily we have communities in El Paso, Horizon City, Socorro, and Clint, Texas which suit the needs of every type of buyer! For those looking for a more countryside feel with close links to the city, Rio Bravo can provide your family with those relaxing country vibes. Alternatively, if you’d rather be in the middle of the action, Mesquite Trails or Aviator Trails are close to the heart of the bustling Zaragoza district, with plenty of top-notch schools nearby. If you are looking for something in Horizon City, we have Horizon Hills with a great elementary school nearby! Or if you are working nearby or in Fort Bliss and have you children go to the school that is closest to the base we also have our Tres Sueños community that offers quick access to Loop 375 and Montana Ave. On the Westside of El Paso we have La Puesta del Sol that is in the Canutillo School District with Canutillo High School only a short drive away. And if you’re looking to settle down on the Eastside we have Emerald Park, Mission ridge, and Painted Desert at Mission Ridge with great schools all a convenient drive away! Once you know what you want, we can help you take care of the rest.
Find Your Dream Home for Your Kids
When people ask how to find a home for them, the children are naturally at the top of everyone’s mind. When buyers say “I want to find my dream home”, they also mean they want the dream schools. You’ll want to ensure wherever you move can provide the best possible future for your kids, so don’t be afraid to make this clear. As always, do your research! Check a school’s ratings online for the peace of mind you deserve and don’t forget to make the time to visit schools in the communities that you’re considering, as this is the best way to learn. There’s no shortage of high-performing schools across the region, with the Americas Estates being in close proximity to some of the best schools in the state. All of our communities are located close to acclaimed and highly rated elementary, middle and high schools, so you really will have many options to choose from. You can see the nearest schools in our community webpages as well, not only that but we also give you an extensive list of nearby attractions, family entertainment, popular restaurants, and local businesses that will help you settle in faster into your new neighborhood! Don’t hesitate to shop around to find the school that you think is right for your children.
At Tropicana Homes we offer great locations, boast an exceptional quality of craftsmanship and customer service, and a hugely diverse range of homes for everybody’s taste, budget, and needs. If you want to find your dream home and ensure your child gets the best education available, get in touch today and let us help you make your dream home a reality.
July 25, 2018
Every homebuyer knows the frustration of struggling to find exactly what they want and where they want it. Fitting your budget, your space needs, and your ideal location all at once is no small feat. If you’re feeling that pain, perhaps it’s time to try something new. Painted Desert- At Mission Ridge is a brand new community that has opened in the far east of El Paso, TX. It offers a variety of great benefits that make it worth a closer look if you’re ready to buy a home.
What’s Unique about Painted Desert at Mission Ridge in El Paso? Painted Desert at Mission Ridge aims to bring a great new option to homebuyers in El Paso by combining all these great features:
“WE ARE PROUD TO INTRODUCE PAINTED DESERT AT MISSION RIDGE AS THE NEWEST ADDITION TO OUR TROPICANA HOMES COMMUNITIES, AND ARE ALSO EXCITED TO SHOW EL PASO TWO OF OUR NEWEST FLOORPLANS AS MODEL HOMES, THE FRIDA AND THE BROOKS. WE ARE CONSTANTLY LOOKING FOR WAYS TO HELP EL PASO’S FAMILIES FIND AND BECOME OWNERS OF THEIR DREAM HOMES.” - RANDY BOWLING, PRESIDENT, TROPICANA HOMES
Homes in Painted Desert at Mission Ridge start at just $150,000, making them accessible to nearly any budget. While most homes in this price range are older and may have countless hidden problems, this price is a rare bargain for new construction. If you’re looking for something more high-end or more spacious, Painted Desert at Mission Ridge also features over a dozen different floor plans ranging up to four bedrooms.
Exclusively Flat Roof or Clay Tile
Painted Desert at Mission Ridge has covenants that require all homes to be built exclusively with a flat or clay tile roof. Keeping all the homes in the community under a similar esthetic. This gives the neighborhood a welcoming and aesthetically pleasing presence. Just another great reason and amenity for you and you family to buy one of our beautiful homes!
For your property values and your own enjoyment, everyone wants to buy their home in an up-and-coming neighborhood. Painted Desert at Mission Ridge is located in the rising East Side of El Paso. This area has plenty of community events and new businesses coming in every day: the perfect environment for a new homeowner.
Eligible for USDA Financing
A great asset to Painted Desert at Mission Ridge is that it is within the eligible area for USDA benefits! A USDA mortgage loan does not require any down payment: an extremely unique advantage. These loans also have very low-interest rates. Depending on your income, your loan may be provided by a local lender and guaranteed by the USDA. Or, the loan may be provided by the USDA themselves. To qualify for a USDA loan, your new home needs to fit specific requirements based on the qualifications specified by the USDA program. Painted Desert at Mission Ridge fits these requirements, as do several of Tropicana Homes’ communities, including Horizon Hills, Aviator Trails, Emerald Park, and Mission Ridge. We also work with our preferred lender, Patriot Mortgage, who are already experienced in and able to assist with USDA loans. This gives you an easier, faster home buying process. They also offer up to 6% in closing costs when buying a Tropicana Home.
Easy to Reach
No one wants to buy a new home that’s a struggle to access or take on a difficult commute. One of Painted Desert at Mission Ridge’s most convenient features is that it has easy access to the I-10 freeway and Loop 375. Find you new home between two important streets, Eastlake Blvd. that will give you quick access to the I-10 freeway and Pellicano Dr. that is only a short drive away from Loop 375.
Backed by a Reputable Company
Some homeowners are hesitant to buy into a new community. Painted Desert at Mission Ridge, however, is backed by the long-standing and reputable company Tropicana Homes. Tropicana Homes has been building in El Paso since 1950 and is proud to have a reputation for success and boasts of excellent customer service reviews. You can rest assured that your new home was built with the best of quality materials and craftsmanship.
How to Tour Painted Desert
All the qualities above make Painted Desert at Mission Ridge a great place for your new home, and a great way to get into East El Paso while it’s on the rise! If you want to learn more or tour a home at Painted Desert at Mission Ridge, Israel Dominguez at (915) 494-8001 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 17, 2018
By David Crowder / El Paso Inc. staff writer Jul 16, 2018
Tropicana Homes of El Paso saw a 93-percent jump in closings from 2015 to 2017, landing the company in the No. 3 spot on Builder Magazine’s latest list of “fastest-growing, up and coming” builders. In 2015, Tropicana’s sold 180 single-family homes, townhouses and condominiums. In 2017, the company sold 347, and sales hit $59 million. “We’re proud to live and work in the El Paso community,” said Randy Bowling, president of Tropicana Homes. “The growth we’ve seen is a great indicator of our dedication and pride we take in our homes and the service we provide.”
Tropicana isn’t the only El Paso company to find a favorable place this year in one of Builder Magazine’s rankings. Desert View, Saratoga Homes and Carefree homes are El Paso’s biggest homebuilders, according to the magazine. Desert View’s had 866 closings in 2017, representing $213 million in sales. Saratoga sold 540 homes, with $107 million in sales. And Carefree closed 407 homes, with sales of $75 million. But it was Tropicana Homes’ 92.78-percent increase in closings – from 180 closings to 347 over two years that put the company in third place on the up-and-comers list. Tropicana builds and sells homes that range from $120,000 to $400,000 in 12 subdivisions throughout El Paso, with most in Far East neighborhoods, including Horizon, Clint and Socorro. In another line of business, Tropicana Building is a known leader here and across the state for apartment projects that provide subsidized housing for low- and moderate-income residents.“We do townhome condo-type apartments and quadraplexes, and in the last 12 months, we built 352 apartments – three complexes with no second story units – a huge increase for us,” said Bobby Bowling IV, president of Tropicana Building. Financed with federal tax credits that attract investors, those complexes went up on Dyer in Northeast, on Pebble Hills on the Eastside and in Montana Vista. “I love this program, and can talk about it all day,” Bowling said. “Let’s say you’re in an entry-level job making $25,000 a year. You qualify for a three-bedroom apartment with your wife and two kids. But say you do a great job and get a raise to $40,000. In the Section 8 and all the HUD programs, they kick you out because you make too much,” he explained. But in the tax credit program, he said, the only year that matters is the renter’s first year, which means they keep their subsidized apartment as their income goes up – and can save for a down payment. “The coolest thing is we’ve sold houses to some of those people,” Bowling said. Tropicana offers free, on-site financial counseling courses to its renters to help them save money for education or a home. They also provide GED courses and social services, including English language instruction. “We have seven homes under contract right now, and we’ll probably close 15 to 20 this year,” Randy Bowling said. “We’ve sold over 50 homes to former renters. Lawmakers love that story. That was the intent of the program at its inception.” Bobby Bowling regularly testifies about the tax credit program before the Texas Legislature. “They hate hand-out programs, and always think that’s what the tax credit program is,” he said. “Then, when I tell them about it and share anecdotes from people who went from nothing to home ownership, they love that.” Bowling describes the El Paso market as solid.
“It’s steady growth, not boom and bust, and that is very good for us when we’re doing $20-million projects, because we need to forecast out for two years in advance,” Bobby Bowling said. Tropicana collects about $2 million a month in rents, he said, and does $30 million to $50 million in apartment construction a year. Single-family home sales typically run about $40 million a year, and Tropicana’s mortgage company, Patriot Mortgage, does about $65 million a year in originations with the help of Tropicana Realty’s agents. Those home and apartment building projects go up on the city’s fringes. Both Bowlings see long-term, hard-to-solve problems for the aging neighborhoods in the heart of El Paso. The city’s two major school districts, El Paso and Ysleta, are struggling with student shortages while the Canutillo district on the Westside and Socorro on the city’s Far Eastside are having trouble keeping up with the growth. “You have to go where there’s a neighborhood with 200 homes that are old, and somebody has to buy all of them, bulldoze it and start from scratch,” Bobby Bowling said. “We need at least 50 acres to make the economies of scale work for single family homes.”
Article extracted from the El Paso Inc. website. View the article on their website here: http://www.elpasoinc.com/news/local_news/tropicana-homes-grows-gets-noticed/article_2a962e90-8872-11e8-8c9a-6b7ee4932660.html
June 26, 2018
Many soldiers move to El Paso each year because of the famous military base, Fort Bliss. If you are going to relocate your entire family, you’ll need to choose a community in El Paso that they will be comfortable in. You also need to choose the perfect home or apartment to suit all your family’s needs. That’s where Tropicana Homes and Tropicana Properties comes in. Read on to find out more about how Tropicana is perfect for families relocating to the El Paso area.
What El Paso Has to Offer
Aside from its strong military presence, El Paso, Texas, is packed with activities for all the family to enjoy. The county offers a variety of cultural events and festivals. It also boasts a diverse climate and landscape. Switching between hot and cold desert climates, El Paso is perfect for hiking, swimming, and you may see a little snow too. You’ll also experience some of the most amazing sunsets Texas can offer. Plus, if all the above isn’t enough, El Paso City is the second safest city in the US.
Tropicana Homes/Tropicana Properties/Patriot Mortgage- Military Offerings
“EL PASO IS ONE OF THE GREATEST PLACES TO LIVE AND RAISE A FAMILY. WITH TROPICANA, WE PROVE THAT EVERY DAY.” - RANDY BOWLING, PRESIDENT, TROPICANA HOMES
If you’re relocating to El Paso, Tropicana Homes and Tropicana Properties can help you! Here is a little bit about us and where you can find us:
Tropicana Properties- Apartments in El Paso
If your relocation in El Paso won’t be long enough to purchase a home, our sister company, Tropicana Properties, manages more than 29 apartment buildings in El Paso. Like Tropicana Homes, Tropicana Properties has apartment complexes all over the city of El Paso including Horizon City, Socorro, San Elizario, and Clint Texas. Every apartment includes washer and dryer, tiled floor throughout, clubhouses, playgrounds, free monthly activities for all the tenants, and military incentives. Visit the Tropicana Properties website for more information on their locations and incentives at www.tropicanaproperties.org.
Tropicana Homes Communities:
La Puesta Del Sol- West El Paso
If you want to be close to the city but still have mountain views, our Puesta Del Sol community is perfect for you. This community is located on the Westside of El Paso. All our homes are only a short drive away from shopping centers, a great outlet mall, the local casino, and a brand new hospital campus. You can enjoy this upper valley living from $180k. Take Transmountain to enjoy a scenic drive through the middle of the Franklin Mountains before you get to Fort Bliss. Contact Mollie Stopani for more information here: M.Stopani@tropicanahomes.com.
Mesquite Trails and Aviator Trails- East El Paso
Our homes in Mesquite Trails and Aviator Trails start at $150k. It’s perfect if you like taking family outings to the shops and restaurants. It also has quick access to the I-10 freeway that can take you straight to Fort Bliss. Plus, it has some great schools in the area, ranging from elementary to high school. This community also boasts some of the most beautiful parks in El Paso. Contact Sylvia Sandoval for more information here: email@example.com.
Emerald Park, Painted Desert, and Mission Ridge- Far East El Paso
For an area with a bit more peace and quiet, check out our Emerald Park, Mission Ridge, and Painted Desert communities. They range from $150k to $300k and are only minutes away from great schools as well as the popular Horizon City golf course. These communities are all located in the growing area of the far Eastside of El Paso. Everyday new restaurants and shops are opening their doors making these communities part of the the future of our great city! Contact Israel Dominguez for more information here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Horizon Hills and Cielo Del Rio- Far East El Paso
For a rural rush with some great area schools, you may want to check out our Horizon Hills community. Houses start at $140k and you’re only a short drive from the I-10 freeway, giving you quick access to the road that will take you wherever you and your family need to go for shopping, dining, or Fort Bliss. Located on the other side of I-10 and our Horizon Hills community is Cielo Del Rio. Find this quiet and tight knit community in Socorro, Texas. t’s perfect if you want some peace and quiet without feeling alienated from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are dozens of floor plans to choose from and homes start at $130k. Contact Michelle Mata for more information here: email@example.com.
Tres Sueños- East El Paso- just minutes from Ft. Bliss
The best way to make your commute shorter is by living in our Tres Sueños community. Only a few minutes away from Fort Bliss will make your days easier and travels faster. Located off of Montana Ave. your new home will be on one of the most important streets in El Paso. Montana will take you from your front door all the way down to the historic district of El Paso, while passing by hundreds of restaurants and shopping centers. With homes starting in the $170k contact Carla Smith for more information here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our homes in Rio Bravo are surrounded by miles of farmland but only minutes away from El Paso city. You can find your ideal home for as little as $120k. Rio Bravo is located in the historic city of Clint, Texas. Find buildings that are built like in the times of cowboys and pioneers. Amazing starry nights and acres of crops growing throughout the year. Contact Manuel Gardea for more information here: email@example.com.
Find Out More About Loans and Incentives
If you like the look of one of the Tropicana Homes, we also work closely with our preferred lender, Patriot Mortgage. Patriot can help you with every step of the mortgage process so that you have a stress-free experience buying your new family home. If you are relocating to El Paso with your family, why not reach out to one of our agents? They can give you a ton of information on our various military incentives and help you choose your dream family home.
We are proud to say that many men and women of the military and their families have chosen us throughout the years. Here at Tropicana Homes and Tropicana Properties, we are committed to helping you find the right place for you to call your new home away from home. And above all, we are very thankful for your services to making this country a safe and wonderful nation. Now let us help you find the perfect place to rest your head after a long day.
May 22, 2018
With winter out of the way and summer rapidly approaching, you’re probably ready to pull out your swimsuit and start planning an amazing summer. But before you do that, it’s important to get your home ready for the summer. Not sure how to get your home ready for summer? Tropicana Homes is here to help! We’ve put together this handy checklist to help keep energy costs low, prevent costly repairs, and keep your home looking stylish all season.
Tropicana Homes’ Ready for Summer Checklist
Getting your home ready for summer involves more than just breaking out the patio umbrella and laying out lawn chairs. Here are some tips that will help all homeowners, whether you’re an experienced home buyer or a new buyer living in one of our eleven communities through El Paso, Horizon, Socorro, and Clint.
Bug-Proof Your Home
Summer in El Paso is amazing. Don’t let pesky bugs ruin it. When preparing your home for summer, take a few extra steps to protect your home from insect invaders. Check out your windows and doors for any gaps or cracks, and make sure to seal them. You may also want to consult with a pest control expert and have your home fumigated with insecticide. If you don’t want to hire a professional, there are many cheap pest control products for purchase.
Get Your Air Conditioner Up and Running
Summers in El Paso get hot, so one of the first things you should do is make sure your air conditioner is in great working condition. If your air conditioner isn’t working properly, reach out to an HVAC professional who can inspect your unit for leaks or defects, and then repair it. And while you’re at it, you may want to consider installing a smart thermostat, which can help you cut down on cooling costs and save energy. Here are a few thing you should look at when preparing your ventilating and air conditioning:
- Replace the air filter in your furnace/AC for maximum efficiency and improved indoor air quality.
- Check that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order (replace batteries if necessary).
- Program thermostat to save on cooling costs. Raise temperature 1 degree for every hour you’re gone, up to 5 degrees (never turn your air conditioner off!).
- Make sure fans are switched to proper or counter-clockwise position, which will force room air down to give a wind chill effect.
- Flash hot water tanks to remove sediment, and check the pressure relief valve to make sure it’s in proper working order. Lower temperature to save on energy and accommodate hot summer conditions.
- Examine exposed ducts in the attic and crawl spaces, and use a sealant to plug any leaks.
- Remove lint from dryer exhaust vent with long flexible brush.
Spruce Up Your Outdoor Space
With the weather warming up, it’s time to take care of your lawn, garden, and deck areas. Here are some to-dos from our summer home checklist that will get your home summer ready.
- Trim any overgrown branches back from the house and electrical wires to prevent wind-swept branches and causing property damage or a power problem.
- Ensure rain drains away from the house to avoid foundation problems. The dirt grade — around the exterior of your home — should slope away from the house. Add extra dirt if necessary
- Inspect your deck or balcony for splintering and treat, if needed, to prevent further deterioration over the winter
- Make sure your exterior handrails are well secured
- Inspect your outdoor lighting We also suggest you spruce up your flower beds by removing weeds and redefining bed edges with a spade. And while you’re at it why not fill in your grass and plant some beautiful and fragrant flowers to make sure your home looks even more beautiful.
Check Windows, Doors & Exteriors
Do you want to keep your home cool, prevent leaks, and keep the exterior of your home in tip-top shape? Here are some things to do:
- Check for missing, damaged or warped shingles and replace as necessary to prevent leaks.
- Reseal all seals around pipes, skylights, and penetrations in your roof with a roofing cement and caulking gun to prevent future leaks that can be cause from materials freezing.
- Check for deteriorated flashing at the chimney, walls, skylights, and around vent pipes. Seal joints where water could penetrate, using roofing cement and a caulking gun.
- Ensure all vents, eaves, and openings are covered to prevent insects, birds, and rodents from nesting.
- Clean leaves and debris from courtyard and any exterior rock wall drains to prevent blockages.
- Check the weather-stripping around your door-frames and windows for leaks to prevent cool air loss, and replace if needed
- Examine window frames and all exterior wood materials; stucco and mortar for signs of deterioration. Repair, replace, re-caulk or repaint to maintain integrity and appearance.
- Check for drafts around doors and windows. Caulk inside and out, where necessary, to keep cool air from escaping.
- Inspect your windows for cracks, gaps, or broken glass, and repair or replace if needed
- Keep your shades closed during the middle of the day to minimize heat from sunlight These simple steps will keep your Tropicana Home in pristine condition all summer season.
Tropicana Home’s Ready for Summer Checklist: Final Thoughts
“I’m looking forward to spending some quality time outside with my family this summer. Home owner maintenance is vital as our rainy season approaches. As the temperature fluctuates, hairline cracks will form in the tar around your roof penetrations and in the caulking of your doors and windows. I will also be showing my family how to prepare our house by sealing all of our exterior penetrations, especially our roof penetrations. Much like a car, proper maintenance of a house will ensure greater value!” - *Randy Bowling, President *
Summer’s a wonderful time of year. Don’t spoil it by not prepping your home for the season. By summer-prepping your home, you can have time to enjoy Tropicana Home’s amazing amenities like community parks, sand volleyball courts, and easy access to parks and trails.
April 24, 2018
There are over five million homes sold every year. That means you have a pretty good chance of finding one you like. However, knowing how to buy your first home is the difficult part. First time home buyers face lots of obstacles. Before you run back to an apartment, know that there are also a lot of great perks to owning your Tropicana Home. Some of these include tax breaks, control over your living environment, and an investment into your future. The obstacles, on the other hand, can all be overcome by learning the details and working with experts. Here are three important things to do in order to buy your very first Tropicana Home.
1. Understand the Finances
Luckily, you won’t have to pay the price of the house upfront. Otherwise, it would be incredibly difficult to buy anything. In fact, when you work with Tropicana Homes and our preferred lender, Patriot Mortgage, we cover up to 6% of your closing costs. The bank lends you money so that you can pay for the house. In return, you promise to pay back the bank’s portion of the home over time. This is called mortgage payments. In order to use the bank’s money, they require that you pay them back interest. The higher the interest percentage, the more money you’ll have to pay to the bank. Some loans, such as a USDA loan, which are available in specific areas of El Paso County, do not require any down payment on your home. There are many different types of mortgage loans, and bond money. Our preferred lender Patriot Mortgage works with these programs, such as VA, FHA, USDA as well as conventional loans and offers TSAHC bond program. They will help you assess your options to find one that best suits your needs. We offer plenty of options, so you can find what works best with you. At Tropicana Homes, we work with Patriot Mortgage to make your home buying experience as easy as possible.
2. Work with a Trustworthy Representative/Realtor
Not only is a good mortgage lender important, but so is a good realtor or builder representative. If you’re a first-time homeowner, you’ll definitely want someone who has been through the process a couple of times to help you out. Luckily, we have an amazing team that are always here to assist you. Our team has access to wide variety of resources and connections. As a result, they can get you into one of our move-in ready homes or find the perfect lot at any of our available communities to build one of the many floorplans that we offer. They can also be great advisors and guide you through the entire homebuying process. Needless to say, we know what it takes to be a good realtor. Find someone who will show you how to buy your first home with ease. Our team of realtors know all of our homes by heart and can guide you through the home complete buying process, whether it’s buying a move-in ready home, or building one.
3. Pick the Right Location
Here’s how to pick the right neighborhood. Tropicana Homes offers 11 communities throughout El Paso, Horizon, Socorro, and Clint, Texas. Each community has different price ranges and floorplans to offer. This is an important step to set down roots in your new home. Also, check these communities before buying your dream property.
Learning How to Buy Your First Home
If it’s time for you to buy your first home, know that you’re not alone. Your parents, grandparents, and others all learned how to navigate this tricky landscape, and you will too. Tropicana Homes is the largest and most trusted homebuilder in El Paso. After 68 years, that’s something we are very proud of. Four times, we have been awarded “Builder of the Year” by the El Paso Association of Builders; in 2009, we were named “Texas Developer of the Year” and “Builder of the Year” in 2003, 2013 and 2015 by the Texas Association of Builders. In their Best of 2012 list, The City Magazine had Tropicana earning the honor of Best Homebuilder. Led by Randy Bowling, president and co-owner, Tropicana Homes has been in existence across three generations of the Bowling family. It has been our privilege to build over 10,000 homes in this city.
“OUR COMMITMENT TO GIVING EL PASOANS THE HIGHEST QUALITY POSSIBLE HAS ONLY INTENSIFIED. WE’RE JUST GETTING STARTED.” Randy Bowling, President
In case you’re still apprehensive and don’t know where to start you can contact us! We’ll help you get started on the process right away.
December 20, 2016
With temperatures beginning to drop and the Holidays getting closer, you’ve probably already switched the heat on and pulled your winter coat out of storage. Making sure your home is prepared for winter is a good way to keep energy costs low and help prevent costly repairs. Tropicana Homes put together a checklist to help you get your home ready for winter.
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Clean or replace the air filter in your furnace, it will improve the air quality and maximize the efficiency.
- Check all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in working order.
- Program the thermostat to save on energy costs.
- Switch ceiling fans to reverse/clockwise position, which will blow the warm air down to the floor.
- Examine exposed ducts in the attic or crawl space and plug any leaks with sealant.
- Flush hot water tanks to remove sediment and check the pressure relief valve to ensure it’s functioning properly.
Lawn, Garden and Deck/Balcony
- Trim branches that interfere with electrical wires or are too close to the home, it will prevent iced-over or wind-blown branches from causing power outages or damage to the home.
- Ensure rain and snow drain away from the home to avoid foundation issues. The dirt grade should slope away from the house. Add extra dirt to low areas as necessary.
- Remove hoses from outdoor faucets and shut off exterior faucets, outdoor pipes, valves and sprinkler heads to avoid pipe bursts.
- Inspect deck or balcony for splintering and treat, if needed, to prevent further deterioration over the winter.
Windows, Doors and Exterior
- Check the weather-stripping around all windows and doors to locate leaks, replace if necessary to prevent heat loss.
- Check for drafts around windows and doors, caulk inside and out if necessary, to keep heat from escaping.
- Examine window frames and exterior wood, stucco and mortar for signs of deterioration. Repair as necessary to maintain integrity and appearance.
- Inspect windows for cracks and gaps, replace as needed.
Roofs and Drains
- Check for missing or damaged shingles and replace as necessary.
- Reseal all seals around pipes, skylights and penetrations in your roof.
- Ensure all vents, eaves and openings are covered to prevent unwanted creatures from attempting to nest in a warm place.
- Clean leaves and debris from any exterior drains to prevent blockages.
- Check for deteriorated flashing at the chimney, walls, skylights and around vent pipes. Seal joints where water could penetrate, using roofing cement and a caulking gun.
This list isn’t exhaustive and your home may have special features that need additional attention, but this will get you started on preparing your home for winter. Periodic checks will help you identify areas that need attention and help prevent costly repairs or emergency maintenance.
November 18, 2016
In your search for a new home, you’ve looked for a community that helps you accomplish specific goals like shortening the commute to work and school or moving closer to family. Now that you’ve found the perfect community, it’s time to start thinking about the floor plan that best fits your lifestyle, family dynamic and future plans.
Tropicana Homes offers a variety of floor plans within each community to best fit the varied needs and family dynamic of each prospective homeowner. These family dynamics range from growing families to empty-nesters to multi-generational households.
We looked through the numerous floor plans offered by Tropicana Homes and considered which features might be beneficial for different family lifestyles. We outlined some of our favorites and why we think they would benefit each family dynamic.
If you have young children or hope to expand your family in the future, floor plans that keep the master bedroom on the same floor as the other bedrooms will allow you to keep a close eye on your babies. Though teaching your children to share their space is a crucial lesson, choosing a floor plan with an extra bedroom or living room will help accommodate your growing family. Some of our favorite growing family oriented floor plans are the Apollo, the Bianka and the Tori 2.
- The Apollo is a two-story home with approximately 2,223 square feet. All four bedrooms are on the second floor, allowing you to walk down the hall to tuck in your children and chase away bad dreams. The open kitchen, dining and family room area on the main level will allow you to easily entertain guests. The Apollo is currently available in La Puesta Del Sol, Tres Sueños, Emerald Park and Sandstone Ranch.
- The Bianka is also a two-story home with approximately 3,393 square feet. The additional footage accommodates an upstairs loft, that would serve perfectly as a playroom. There are three bedrooms upstairs and an extra room that can be used as an office, playroom or additional bedroom. The Bianka is currently available in La Puesta Del Sol.
- The Tori 2 is a two-story home with approximately 2,197 square feet. With four bedrooms and an upstairs loft, there is plenty of room for children to play and grow. The large family room and living room provide abundant space for family time. The Tori is currently available in La Puesta Del Sol, Mesquite Trails, Tres Sueños and Sandstone Ranch.
If you’re an empty-nester, you may be looking to downsize now that your children have moved out to follow their dreams. You may want to keep a guest room for visits, but you can convert an extra bedroom into a hobby room or home office. Some of our favorite downsizing options are the Marcos Modern and the Noel A.
- The Marcos Modern is a single-story home with approximately 1,148 square feet. This three bedroom floor plan provides ample space for an empty-nester, but is still easy to clean and maintain. The Marcos Modern is currently available in Rio Bravo and Tres Sueños.
- The Noel A is also a single-story home with approximately 1,295 square feet. The open kitchen and dining room are connected to the living room, making entertaining a breeze. The bedroom at the front of the home gives a view of the front yard and street, perfect for use as a home office. The Noel A is currently available in Tres Sueños.
With a multi-generational family living in one home, there’s a variety of needs to accommodate. Elderly parents may still be capable of independence but don’t want to navigate stairs and children may be growing toward independence. Some of our favorite options for multi-generational families are the Everidge, the Tuscany and the Janis 5.
- The Everidge is a two-story home with approximately 3,419 square feet. The third garage and main floor bedroom including its own bathroom are perfect for the independent older parent living with their child. The remaining four bedrooms are on the second floor. The home features a balcony and covered patio, providing the opportunity to enjoy an El Paso sunset. The Everidge is currently available in Mesquite Trails, Sandstone Ranch and La Puesta Del Sol.
- The Tuscany is also a two-story home with approximately 2,976 square feet. The home includes a spare bedroom on the main floor allowing the elderly parent to avoid the stairs. The three car garage allows your teenager to park their vehicle or gives you space to store your outdoor/sporting equipment. The four upstairs bedrooms can accommodate a large family or be converted into a playroom or office. The Tuscany is currently available in Mesquite Trails.
- The Janis 5 is a two-story home with approximately 2,486 square feet. Elderly parents will appreciate the master bedroom and bathroom on the main floor that is set apart from the living room, providing a quieter space. The second floor features a second master bedroom and bathroom, two bedrooms and a loft that can serve as a playroom or second living room. The Janis 5 is currently available in Tres Sueños, Mesquite Trails and Sandstone Ranch.
The floor plans listed above are only a fraction of what Tropicana Homes offers. Visit tropicanahomes.com/floorplans to view additional floor plans and learn about the availability of the floor plan in each community. In addition to having a variety of layouts, Tropicana Homes gives homeowners the opportunity to choose from different façades (also known as “elevations”): modern, standard and Mediterranean. Contact Tropicana Homes to learn more about the building process. With Tropicana Homes, you’ve found the ideal community, let us help you find your dream home.
October 17, 2016
Whether you’re moving from across town or across the country, finding a new house starts with locating the best neighborhood. The ideal neighborhood for one buyer may not be quite so perfect for another, due to variations in lifestyle and life goals. At Tropicana Homes, we’ve invested in communities throughout the El Paso region, within the city limits and beyond. We know there’s a perfect spot waiting for you in one of our communities.
To help you narrow down your search, we put together a list of essential questions you could consider as you search for the best community for you and your family:
- Does the community include any amenities?
- Are there any nearby attractions or entertainment options?
- What schools are nearby?
- How close are the highways?
- How close are certain areas of town?
- Where is the nearest emergency room, dentist, etc.?
Using the list above, we took a closer look at a few of the Tropicana Homes communities.
Emerald Park (near Horizon City)
Emerald Park is a beautiful community just outside of El Paso, giving you a break from the hustle of the city and an opportunity to enjoy a rural hush.
- Amenities: Community park, including a basketball court and sand volleyball court.
- Nearby attractions: Horizon Golf Club, Emerald Springs Golf Course and Socorro Independent School District Aquatic Center.
- Nearby schools: Eastlake High School, Mission Ridge Elementary, Horizon Heights Elementary and Col. John Ensor Middle School.
- Loop 375/I-10 Interchange: Less than five miles from the community.
- Commuting: 30 minutes to Fort Bliss, 25 minutes to Downtown El Paso, 15 minutes to Montana Ave., 12 minutes to Lee Trevino Dr., 10 minutes to George Dieter Dr.
- Healthcare: Two minutes to Las Palmas Urgent Care Center, three minutes to Sierra Providence Medical Partners, two minutes to Keep Smilin’ Family Dental, six minutes to Easy Dental.
Horizon Hills (near Horizon City)
Horizon Hills offers an escape from the busyness of the city without forfeiting the convenience of city features.
- Amenities: Community park, including a basketball court and sun-shielded playground.
- Nearby attractions: Horizon Golf Club, Emerald Springs Golf Course and Socorro Independent School District Aquatic Center.
- Nearby schools: Eastlake High School, Mission Ridge Elementary, Horizon Heights Elementary and Col. John Ensor Middle School.
- Loop 375/I-10 Interchange: Less than three miles from the community.
- Commuting: 25 minutes to Fort Bliss, 25 minutes to Downtown El Paso, 10 minutes to Lee Trevino Dr., eight minutes to George Dieter Dr., 15 minutes to Montana Ave.
- Healthcare: 10 minutes to Las Palmas Urgent Care Center, Sierra Providence Medical Partners, Keep Smilin’ Family Dental, and Easy Dental.
La Puesta Del Sol (West El Paso)
Residents of La Puesta Del Sol have enviable views of the sunsets, access to parks and trails, and an easy drive to the Outlet Shoppes.
- Amenities: Community park and playground.
- Nearby attractions: Outlet Shoppes, Sunland Park Mall, Sunland Park Race Track and Casino, Wet and Wild Water World, and more.
- Nearby schools: Jose Damian Elementary, Canutillo Middle School, and Canutillo High School.
- Woodrow Bean Trans-Mountain Dr.: Less than two miles from the community.
- I-10: Less than a mile from the community.
- Commuting: 25 minutes to Fort Bliss, 15 minutes to Downtown El Paso, 20 minutes to UTEP, 20 minutes to the Northeast, 30 minutes to George Dieter Dr.
- Healthcare: less than 10 minutes to Upper Valley Urgent Care, Complete Emergency Care and El Paso Quality Dentistry.
Rio Bravo (Clint, TX)
Nestled in the agricultural area of Clint, Texas, Rio Bravo offers residents a quiet community filled with history and surrounded by beautiful farmland. Less than thirty minutes from El Paso, the community gives residents the chance to enjoy the country.
- Nearby attractions: Cattleman’s Steakhouse, Old El Paso County Jail Museum and El Paso Motor Plex.
- Nearby schools: William D. Surratt Elementary, Clint Junior High School and Clint High School.
- I-10: Less than five miles from the community.
- Loop 375/I-10 Interchange: 13 miles from the community.
- Commuting: 15 minutes to Socorro, 10 minutes to Fabens and San Elizario.
- Healthcare: 10 minutes to University Medical Center Fabens Clinic, 10 minutes to Texas Kids Dental Care of Fabens, 15 minutes to Rio Grande Family Dental.
The list isn’t exhaustive, but it will get you thinking about your priorities for your new community, benefits you’d like to have and things that you’re indifferent about. For example, if your children are fully grown, you’d have little concern for proximity to schools, but you might care about how close the airport is to go visit grandchildren. Visit http://tropicanahomes.com/communities to learn more about the available communities and the contact information for the communities’ sales agents.
September 27, 2016
Since 1950, Tropicana Homes has been committed to providing El Pasoans with homes that complement their lifestyles through quality, comfort-focused design and exceptional value. Over the years, countless memories have been made at thousands of Tropicana Homes, and continue to be made as each new generation begins creating their own.
Keeping these new generations in mind, Tropicana Homes takes pride in continuing to provide quality, comfort and value to our customers as we work to provide solutions to the demand for cleaner and more sustainable energy within our homes and communities. Energy efficiency is the focus of several ongoing federal initiatives, as well as state and local energy code mandates including efficiency requirements for new residential construction.
Any new home that was not permitted before September 1, 2016, must be built to the stringent standards of the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC). These initiatives and mandates will positively impact the environment, but also result in increased construction costs.
Fortunately, homeowners have the opportunity to educate themselves on the new efficiency measures, learn how to properly maintain the related systems and exercise responsible energy use, which could lead to lower energy costs over the life of their home. The following list highlights the potential benefits of energy efficiency:
Increased comfortability and better quality atmosphere throughout the home. Minimum standards help ensure the efficiency of materials used and how they are installed. Examples of this include properly installed ductwork, improved insulation, LED lighting, higher efficiency windows and ventilation fans. When maintained properly, these measures will create a more air tight living space within the home, thereby reducing energy costs.
Potential long-term cost savings for homeowners. With appropriate maintenance and consumer use, there is a potential savings for residents through the reduction of electrical, water and gas utility usage. One expert believes, “Homeowners could save themselves roughly $300 annually on their utility bills compared to the 2012 EICC, and $850 annually compared to homes built to the 2006 IECC.” Visit http://www.builderonline.com/building/code for additional information on this topic. (Meres, Ryan. “2015 IECC: What you Need to Know” Builder Online, 18 Nov. 2013. Web. 8 Aug. 2016)
Overall benefit to the environment. Investing in efficiency measures will lead to a decrease in pollution and wasted energy and natural gas. This benefits not only current generations but also future generations.
Although there is an initial increase in price, the potential savings could negate the initial cost of implementation. As energy prices rise and resources diminish, new homeowners will continue to reap the benefits of a more energy efficient home, including competitive resale values compared to older, less efficient homes. As always, Tropicana Homes is committed to quality homes and the proper installation of mandated systems and features. We’re here to answer any questions regarding energy efficiency or any other topic related to purchasing your new home. For additional information on energy efficiency tips and tools, please visit the State Energy Conservation Office’s website at www.seco.cpa.state.tx.us.
August 12, 2016
El Paso, Texas- Mollie Stopani, sales professional for Tropicana Homes in El Paso, was named the 2016 “Rookie Sales Professional of the Year” at the Texas Association of Builders (TAB) Star Awards held in Grapevine, Texas on August 4, 2016. The annual awards are a statewide tribute to excellence in the home building industry, showcasing the outstanding work of professionals within the industry. The association is an affiliate of the National Association of Home Builders and is comprised of 28 local Texas home builders.
Mollie Stopani, a native of El Paso, began her career as a sales agent at Tropicana Homes in January 2014 at the Tres Sueños community development in East El Paso and is currently over the Sunset Terrace community in West El Paso. “Being a recipient of the TAB Star Awards is a great accomplishment,” said Randall Bowling, President of Tropicana Homes, “Mollie is an exceptional sales professional - we are proud of her achievements and contribution to Tropicana Homes and our community.” As an award recipient, Mollie Stopani will be featured along with other TAB 2016 Star Award winners in the September/October issue of Texas Builder magazine.
Tropicana Homes has also been recognized by the Texas Association of Builders in past years; in 2003, 2013 and 2015 the association awarded Tropicana Homes “Builder of the Year” and in 2009 “Developer of the Year”. Currently, Tropicana Homes has seven living communities available throughout El Paso County, and continues to grow with a new community development in the Northeast area which will be available in 2016.